.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

lubablog

Because wherever you go, there you are
Welcome NSA!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bailey's Irish Cream


As I've gotten older and lazier, I've whittled down my Christmas shopping list radically. I buy gifts only for close/nuclear family members. Mom, Dad, nieces and nephew (including dog niece), brother and sister-in-law. But I still give lots of gifts. How? Home made gifts.

Starting in October, I begin making snowflake pysanka ornaments. It's a relaxing activity, as I don't follow any pattern, just sort of doodle the designs as I go along. By early December I've made more than enough for friends and family.



I also make huge quantities of Bailey's Irish Cream. You can find the recipe here on my blog. Jars of it make a lovely gift; a little bit of it over ice, or in coffee, can be quite pleasant. I know my mailman appreciates it, as do the nurses I work with. And several gallons of it get drunk at my Tree Party.

It's a bit of work though, especially when making it in quantity. I purchased a large capacity blender a few years ago that lets me make two batches at once, but the bulk supplies and empty jars take up all of the counter space in my tiny kitchen, as you can see below. Mixing occurs near the sink; and that bit of paper hanging from the cabinet is the recipe.


Jars get filled near the stove. In the end I have three dozen jars and four 1.75 liter vodka bottles of the stuff, the result of 32 batches, or about 1.35 quarts of Bailey's per batch*.



* Based on adding 1 cup vodka per quart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home